Monday, 21 March 2011

Film Poster - Quarantine analysis

Quarantine is the American remake of [REC]. It has a very similar story line and in some ways, a very similar poster. However, quarantine gives a lot more away about the story. In fact, the audience is left very little to work out as there are 7 lines explaining what to expect in the film. However, there is still some mystery into why there are no details, witnesses or evidence so still has a way of drawing the audience in with these questions.

Although, I do think that these lines on the poster are effective, I thought that the level of information given away in [REC] was much better. Having more questions about the film to answer seems a much better way of advertising as people may keep researching into themselves, for instance finding he film trailer. Because of this I think I won’t use this method in my poster.

The genre, again, is given away in similar ways to [REC], the colours are very dark except for the title to make this stand out to people looking at the poster, as well as the title appearing to be a font you could associate with a quarantine. However, one big change is the main colour of green. This adds to the idea of quarantine. The picture is also a huge give away to the genre because of the expression on the woman’s face. An obviously horrific, terrified look creating that questions of why?

The colour also helps with showing the audience the sub genre which is the same as [REC], a hand held camera horror. The colour is this way as the camera is on night vision. Adding to the horror as well as this would meant that she is in darkness but also gives a big clue to how the whole film is filmed with one character holding the only camera. This sub genre is also presented to us with the more subtly shown [REC] sign in the corner. This is where this sign would normally be when playing tapes back. As I want to show the sub genre, I may choose to use this in my piece.

I think comparing this to the previous poster; I don’t think it gives as much of a creepy mysterious feel to it which is what I would like my poster to be like. However, I will take on the dark colours use throughout and may decide to use the [REC] icon or something similar depending on what main image I choose. I also like the idea of just using one persons face on my poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment